Each meal meets USDA guidelines for ALL nutrients, including Vitamins A & C, iron, fiber, and calcium, which are important for children's health and reducing the risk for chronic health problems.
- There are NO deep fryers used in BPS kitchens; all products are baked.
- A variety of fresh fruits and vegetables are offered at EVERY lunch on a salad bar. Encourage your kids to choose these items often!
- All grain products, i.e. breads, buns, dinner rolls, garlic toast, bread sticks, and cereals, are made with whole grain products.
- The pizza crust contains whole grains and is made with reduced-fat cheese and reduced-fat pepperoni.
- The corn dog is actually a ‘lower-fat turkey dog' in a whole grain crust.
- The hot dog is made with beef, served on a whole grain bun, and offered with fruit, vegetables, and baked beans which are all good sources of fiber.
- "Grilled" chicken fajita strips and a grilled chicken patty are offered as well as "unbreaded" chicken nuggets.
- A variety of sandwiches are offered including lean turkey or ham, and a soy butter and jelly and are served on whole grain bread.
- Baked beans, black beans, and green peas, excellent fiber sources, are served often.
- Reduced-fat salad dressings are offered for vegetable dips and salads.
*BPS students who eat meals at school will likely consume more fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and dairy products throughout the day!