CENTURY HIGH SCHOOL "PATRIOTS" "HALL OF FAME"
The Century High School Hall of Fame was founded in 2005 to promote pride in Century High School and to honor those graduates with outstanding accomplishments. The Hall of Fame will help preserve, strengthen, and add distinction to Century High School. In addition, these recognitions are for the purpose of honoring and perpetuating the memory of those individuals who have excelled. Finally, the Hall of Fame will provide our students with examples of what to dream of and aspire to.
CATEGORIES OF RECOGNITION
Those alumni of Century High School who have distinguished themselves by outstanding achievements through scholarship, service and leadership.
Those alumni of Century High School who have established enviable records of achievement in athletics, which would make them deserving of this recognition.
Arts, Business or the Sciences
Those alumni of Century High School who have distinguished themselves in the fields of Arts, Business or the Sciences so as to reflect honor and distinction.
- Teachers associated with Century High School who have distinguished themselves by outstanding achievement or contributions.
- Former coaches or directors who through their affiliation with Century have distinguished themselves to make them deserving of this recognition.
Those alumni or friends of Century whose actions and/or achievements may not be categorized in any of the above, but are deserving of such recognition. These awards may be for humanitarian actions, community (civic) involvement, or other special contributions.
CRITERIA FOR SELECTION
- To be eligible for selection an alumnus must have been out of Century High School for at least ten (10) years.
- In the case of those members of the teaching faculty and/or coaching staff, they may be considered eligible two (2) years after retirement or active employment.
- No more than two (2) members from the same decade may be elected in any given year, (three (3) in the first (5) years), except under the unusual circumstances as determined by the nominating and selection committees in their deliberations.
- The total number inducted during the first five (5) years may not exceed five (5) annually.
- In addition, at the discretion of the nominating and selection committees, one (1) posthumous selection may be made but is not mandatory.
- In the event that future conditions develop, that in the opinion of the nominating and selection committees, these numbers should be adjusted, it may be changed by a 2/3 vote of the entire board of directors.
- Exceptions to the above criteria may be approved by a unanimous vote of the selection committee.
OFFICERS AND MEMBERS OF THE HALL OF FAME COMMITTEE
- The Hall of Fame Committee will consist of no fewer than eleven (11) and no more than fifteen (15) members. The members will consist of the following:
- The Principal of Century High School or designee.
- The Activities Director of the Bismarck Public Schools or designee.
- Two current activity advisors or coaches appointed by the Principal.
- One person from the Century Booster Club appointed by the Principal.
- One CHS teacher (not involved in activities) appointed by the Principal.
- One member representing each decade of the school's existence (70's, 80's, 90's, 2000-2009, etc.), who is selected by the committee as a whole.
- Two-five at-large community representatives who are appointed by majority selection from the committee as a whole.
- All committee members will have full voting privileges concerning committee action.
- The committee shall elect the following officers on an annual basis: Vice-chairperson, and secretary/treasurer. A simple majority of those in attendance is necessary to elect an officer. Chairperson's position will be the principal of Century High School.
- Terms of membership to the committee shall be three (3) years and no more than two (2) consecutive terms. The committee will determine a method to stagger the number of members being replaced each year.
- Committee members and officers may be reappointed or reelected after a one (1) year absence.
- The official year for the committee will be November 1 st to October 31 st.
- The Hall of Fame Committee may conduct official business when a quorum of 60% of the committee members are present. The by-laws may be changed with a quorum of 75% of the committee members present.
- The purpose of the committee is to solicit candidates of the Hall of Fame and then select nominees for induction into the Hall of Fame. This committee shall also review the constitution and by-laws on an annual basis to see if additions or corrections should be made.
- The Board of Directors will determine the need for additional subcommittees (i.e. induction ceremony, awards, promotion, finances, etc.).
SELECTION PROCESS AND RECOGNITION
- Names for nomination may be submitted to the committee at anytime by anyone.
- The first five years, 2005-2010, the committee may induct a maximum of five (5) individuals per year to the Hall of Fame. After 2010, a maximum of five (5) individuals per year may be inducted each year. In addition, at the discretion of the nominating and selection committees, one (1) posthumous selection may be made but is not mandatory.
- To be inducted to the Century High School Hall of Fame, the person must be nominated and seconded by someone on the committee. If a person is on the ballot and has not received any votes during a five-year period, he/she will be removed from the list. That person may be re-nominated in the future. To be reinstated as a candidate the nominee must receive a minimum of 75% of the votes of those present.
- In the event that a committee member is being considered as a candidate for the Century High School Hall of Fame, the committee member is not to vote when his or her names comes up for vote.
- To be inducted in the Century High School Hall of Fame each nominee must receive a minimum of 2/3 of the votes of those committee members that are present at this meeting.
- The selection committee will meet in April to select the inductees for the coming year.
- The Century High School Hall of Fame committee will present each inductee with an appropriate award of membership. A plaque of each honoree will be placed in the Hall of Fame at Century High School. This plaque will contain an appropriate picture of the honoree and appropriate vitae. A scrapbook with all pertinent information will be maintained and kept by the archivist.
- The honorees will also be inducted in the fall at the annual Hall of Fame dinner and recognized at the Homecoming football game.